[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Mon Apr 23 04:56:58 EDT 2001

<s713221 at student.gu.edu.au> wrote in message
news:3AE21FB8.481CC5D1 at student.gu.edu.au...

> Aren't you one of the guys who doesn't want to release your code because
> you're afraid people will run away with it? The way I see it, the GPL
> ensures that if you decide to release code as open source, it stays
> open. Just because it belongs to the open community, doesn't give others
> the right to 'pirate' it for commercial closed source applications.

There are theoretical rights and there there is practical enforcement.  The
latter takes a big bag of money.  If you let the cat out of the bag and give
away source code to zillions of people, you are creating zillions of
opportunities for somebody to rip you off.  Then you have to *find* the
person who ripped you off, then sue them, then win.  Get 3 big bags of money
to do those 3 things.  You save a lot of money by not releasing the source
code in the first place.  It slows all the ripoff artists down quite a bit.

I'm just wondering how many people still believe in the tooth fairy.