Tkinter and wxPython

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Apr 19 21:32:35 EDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:23:58AM +0000, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
| On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:36:53 -0400, D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:
| >Personally I like GTK+ the best, and it does work on *nix and Windows.
|
|  Sorry to sound exhausted, but could people please understand one day that
| wxPython *is* GTK+ under Unix?? Even Cameron Laird wrote in his small

No need to apologize Vadim.  I know that wx(Python|Windows) is has GTK
as the underlying implementation on Unix systems, but it doesn't have
the GTK API ;-).  Also when trying out Mahogany I saw that it wasn't
_quite_ the same.  I can't identify exactly what was different, but it
_seemed_ to be slightly different than the other GTK/GNOME apps I use.
I think the cause is providing the wxWindows API (philosophy on
layout) on top of the GTK+ framework.

The question for me is "Do I like the GTK+ API and layout or the
wxWindows API and layout better?".  I haven't tried wxPython enough to
reach a conclusion, but I do know that I like both the API and widgets
of GTK+.

I have a couple of programs in mind to work on at some point, and I
plan on using both toolkits to make a comparison.  A strong point in
favor of GTK+ is glade+libglade.  I know wxPython has wxDesigner, but
it isn't free ($$).  Maybe Boa Constructor can fill the first part of
that gap?  Also I think I've heard some talk in the wx community
about an XML description thing that seems to resemble libglade.  It
will be a big advance/improvement in the wx system.

-D