why python annoys me

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 07:30:35 EDT 2001

"D-Man" <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 01:40:53PM +0200, Martin von Loewis wrote:
> | Luke <floods at netplus.net> writes:
> | >
> | > Why do you always have to access class data members as self.* What a
> | > pain in the ass, and anti-OO.
> |
> | I disagree. In Smalltalk, which is one of the oldest OO languages, the
> | object being dealt with is always referred-to as "self". Even in a
> | natural language, the actor always refers to the subject of an action,
> | even if the subject is the actor ("I understand this", not "Understand
> | this").
>
> Only in English.  In other languages (Spanish comes to mind, I don't
> really know any others but AFAIK all Romance languages are identical
> in this regard) the verb changes to indicate the subject.  I belive

French is normally considered a Romance language (to be sure, it
has _some_ roots elsewhere than in Latin, too, but that applies
to all languages considered "Romance" ones, in various ways).  It
has mandatory subjects, like English.  Italian, on the other hand,
frequently omits subject pronouns, like Spanish or Latin.

Alex