Good GUI for Python

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 1 05:04:29 EDT 2001

Ken Peek <Peek at lvcm.comnospam> wrote:
> Take a look at the "Fast Light Tool Kit" (FLTK).  I think the link is on the
> python web site.  It does most of everything that most people need to do,
> without the code bloat of Windoze.  The license is "BSD" style I think (which
> means you can use it in a commercial product without GPL restrictions.)  This
> GUI is embeddable in small hardware, and runs on many O/S's as well as stand
> alone if you write the frame buffer and input device drivers.

> If you would like a commercial product, I heard pyQT was very good...

PyQt is as free as free software can be - BlackAdder, which is based
on PyQt is commercial, but also includes an IDE, a GUI designer and a
good debugger. But you can download PyQt, compile it on any platform you've
got Qt libraries for, and do with it what you want other than claim it's
your work, or forbid others to distribute it.

It would be interesting to try and get Qt/X11 to compile on OS X, now that
XFree compiles there. Maybe use KDE's Acqua theme to get the right
look and feel... I wish I could afford a Mac to try it out on.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org