GUI - VCL Use

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Mon Apr 23 11:59:31 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:54:40 -0300, Carlos Ribeiro
<cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br> wrote:

>At 00:25 23/04/01 +0000, CarlCrewe wrote:
>>Has anyone used a RAD tool such as Borland C++ Builder or Delphi (same VCL) to
>>write GUI for python
>
>I'm thinking hard about doing it. I'm used to Delphi - not that I think
>it's the best tool around, but it does have a nice set of visual
>components, and the language is much more consistent than C++ (at least
>from my point of view). It also generates decent code. There is a Python
>for Delphi project, at
>
>http://www.multimania.com/marat/delphi/python.htm
>
>I have installed it and played a little bit. It seems to work,

I use it all the time, no problems.

>but I
>haven't done any serious project with it,

Of course _I_ have never done a "serious project" in any
language so you can't go by me. But I'm a big fan of the
Python for Delphi thing - it makes it trivial to include a
Python interpreter in a Delphi application for various
things, also trivial to let a Python program call on Delphi
for number crunching. (That's "trivial" meaning trivial even
for a fool like me who knows no C and doesn't want to
learn any...)

>so your mileage may vary. My idea
>is to have the interface written in Delphi, and business logic and user
>extensions written in Delphi.

Good idea (presumably the first "Delphi" here is Delphi while
the second "Delphi" is meant to illustrate how flexible Python
can be:  even the spelling of the name of the language
can be modified...)