list vs tuple

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Mon Apr 2 02:13:29 EDT 2001

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 20:18:10 GMT, deadmeat wrote:
>> There is a dilemma here nobody has solved.
>Chicken / egg problem...

Kind of -- by the time we've learned enough Python to know, we understand
it well enough to not need to ask.

But I'd call it a "leaky roof problem": if it ain't raining the roof don't
leak, and when it's raining I cain't fix it nohow.

>> occur to you to question whether list[i] is constant-time or takes time
>> proportional to i

>Well, you've lost me there.  I would have thought a paragraph or two
>introducing the concept of arrays and how to reference each element would
>pretty much take care of it..

They're called lists, not arrays.  A Lisp programmer would immediately ask
that.  An APL programmer would have a MESS of questions (and would ask
them all at the same time, of course).  Always doing things backwards,
Forth programmers are.

>> the-only-objective-truth-is-that-all-other-languages-suck<wink>-ly
>Only Perl sux :)

Oh dear, no.  I guess I've learned too many languages -- they all suck,
except Python.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley -- from __vacuum__ import *