why python annoys me

Jaap Spies j.spies at hccnet.nl
Tue Apr 17 19:06:13 EDT 2001

Luke wrote:

> Python is an ugly language...

A matter of taste! For me Python is Poetry.

> Why should you have to name stuff with __*__ to get some pseudo hiding?
> Or for any reason for that matter...

Design :-).

> Why do you always have to access class data members as self.* What a
> pain in the ass, and anti-OO.  In a Java class, you don't constantly
> have to write this.feature = this.feature2 ++; if this.a > this.b etc...
> How tedious that would be, and is with Python's self.
>
> Is it procedural or OO?

Both, even functional. And a matter of "self"-confidence.

> Python gives too many ways of doing it.

Python does not force you in one way thinking. I appreciate that.

> Furthermore, the syntax and features of the language keep changing with
> every release.

Compare the history of Java. I think the core of Python is very stable.

> For God's sake!  I regret ever buying programming python
> and learning python... I feel like they're already out of date.

You refer to PPe2? Maybe we can open a fund for "spijtoptanten" ( sorry,
that's Dutch for people who
regret 'something').

> There are lots of nice things about python like its built in [] and {}
> and I really like the indention, but I'm about to go back to Java, a
> language I know very well and feel comfortable in.  I'm not slamming it,
> it has lots of potential, but there are so many stupid illogical
> features in Python that just ruin the whole experience.

Did you give Jython a try? With Jython you can use the 'nice things of
Python' with the best of Java.
Java is an interpreted languages, but what is the use of a Java
interpreter. Java is a far to low language
to write software in a prototyping environment. There Python (Jython)
fits in.

Cheers,

Jaap Spies