other python ideas

Carlos Alberto Reis Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Mon Apr 9 08:58:59 EDT 2001

At 09:00 09/04/01 +0000, Remco Gerlich wrote:
>Recently people want to get rid of import, change the clear semantics of the
>assignment statement, add stricter interfaces, make more private members of
>classes, do bytecode optimization...

Sorry. I'm involved in more than one of the above, and I think that
sometimes the *intention* get lost in the middle of the discussion. As for
some of the points that you raised:

* I don't want to change the semantics of the assignment statement. I just
wanted to have a way to differentiate between temporary objects created as
intermediate results in expressions, and objects that are already bound to
some name. In the end, Robin Thomas found a nice way to solve the problem
*without* having to resort to a magic __assign__ method. I believe that
this may lead to a big improvement, specially for NumPy operations.

* The discussion about interfaces is going nicely. Lots of proposals and
counter-proposals are being raised, ranging from the full-Java-like
interfaces to the lets-it-stay-as-it-is crowd. I think that, in the end, we
will have a good mechanism for interface implementation and assertion.

* As for the bytecode optimization, after some discussion, I'm convinced
that it is not a easy thing to do. But this is something that can be done
*without* changing anyone's code, and it have the potential to benefit
everyone. It's just a matter of looking at what to optimize. Simply
dismissing optimization without looking at the potential gain is as bad as
the opposite - proposing optimizations for the sake of optimization,
without checking first what kind of gain could be attained with it.

Last but not least, I'd like to point out that I'm not comfortable with the
rapid pace of development of the past few months. Some weird things are
being proposed. I think that this is related to the recent changes related
to  the Python development team. As things get more stable, the pace will
be moderated naturally.

Python is a very good language as it is. We (the user community) will
always be looking for improvements, specially if we can make them slowly,
in a incremental way, without breaking anyone's code. That search for
improvements, allied with a common sensical approach (most times anyway
:-), is one of the best things in the Python core team.

Carlos Ribeiro