HELP! Installing BeOPEN Python 2.0 on Red Hat 7.0

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Apr 2 21:56:56 EDT 2001

On 3 Apr 2001 11:12:15 +1000, Bob Kummerfeld <bob at staff.cs.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

>I suggest you stay with the Python (1.5.2) that comes with Red Hat 7.0.
>Getting Python 2.0 to work is possible but not easy for a Linux novice!

Not to mention the difficulties in getting RH7.0 to work.  Last
week we found yet-another-bug in RH7.0 that causes one of our
products to not install correctly.  I've been using RH since
2.<something> and learned to stay away from *.0 releases years
ago, but 7.0 seems especially broken.

>To get it work I had to download the stable version of gcc (source code)
>and build it, because the gcc delivered with Red Hat is an experimental
>version that doesn't work. Then build python 2.0 from source (that's the
>easy part).

We are eagerly awaiting RH7.1 so that we can tell our customers
to upgrade because we don't support RH7.0.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I feel better about
                                  at               world problems now!