Chocolate [was Re: Python Books for 2002]

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 15:53:05 EDT 2001

"Carlos Alberto Reis Ribeiro" <cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br> wrote in message
    [snip]
> We're way off topic anyway, but what about coffee? As a brazilian I was
> surprised by the american coffee. After all, the USA buy the *very best*
> coffee beans from Brazil and Colombia, and use it... to make that? It's
> watered coffee, decaf - so it's not coffee after all :-) We're used to
> strong coffee here (I think we're on par with the Italians). Also the
> bread... I could not find good bread in any of the places where I gone

Actually, I know where to get good bread, good hand-made chocolate,
good local wine, AND a good espresso, in [4+ different places in] San
Francisco -- pity each product's price would be an order of magnitude
more than here in Italy, but, apart from that, I do sometimes wonder
if SF _is_ in the US (the fact that each of the places I have in mind is
walking distance from a street whose nametags read "viale Cristoforo
Colombo", and is entirely decorated in red-white-and-green flags, may
of course be entirely coincidental -- I've been in many other just-as-
Italian-looking quarters in _other_ US cities where the coffee's so light
you could wash your hands clean with it....).

Alex

[P.S: the very idea of coffee being OT on a comp.* group is, I think,
an oxymoron -- don't _all_ we nerds survive mostly on caffeine...?]