Python version of binascii.b2a_hex (binary to hex conversion)?

Graham Guttocks graham_guttocks at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Apr 27 15:17:19 EDT 2001

Greetings,

I need to support Python < 2.0 with one of my apps that uses
binascii.b2a_hex and binascii.a2b_hex to convert between binary data
and it's hexadecimal representation.  Since these functions aren't
available in earlier Python versions, I need to implement them myself.

For binary --> hex, I've found the following in the list archives:

  def hexlify(b):
      return "%02x"*len(b) % tuple(map(ord, b))

I couldn't find the reverse (hexadecimal string --> binary data).
Does anyone have such a function handy?

Regards,
Graham