trouble building 2.1

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Apr 7 11:20:28 EDT 2001

"cindy" <infotechsys at pivot.net> wrote:

> When I key in make I get the following error:
>
> gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> -o Modules/python.o Modules/python.c
> In file included from Include/Python.h:54,
>                  from Modules/python.c:3:
> Include/pyport.h:422:2: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for
> platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
> make: *** [Modules/python.o] Error 1

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#line53

    "Q. I get an error in pyport.h: LONG_BIT definition appears wrong
    for platform (bad gcc config?). When I remove the #error
    directive it builds fine"

    "A. You must be using Red Hat 7.0. It comes with a broken compiler.
    GCC 2.96 was never intended for distribution. You will need to
    update your glibc to version 2.2 (see
    http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000-079.html for
    more information)."

Cheers /F