linux & users' python-extensions

Paweł Stołowski pawelstol at poczta.onet.pl
Wed Apr 11 16:37:36 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:
> "Paweł Stołowski" <pawelstol at poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> news:slrn.pl.9d3u29.e3p.pawelstol at localhost.localdomain...
>> I've installed Python into /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib/Python2.0.
>> Now I'd like to allow an ordinary user to maintain his own
> python-extensions
>> modules (written in C/C++). So, each user's python programs should see
>> the global modules hierarchy, but also allow the user to import his own
>> modules and link coresponding C/C++ modules, when needed. Is it possible

> There are many approaches, but the simplest one may be to notice
> that each user can freely set his or her own preferred value for the
> environment variable PYTHONPATH, and its contents (parsed from a
OK, I've this:
PYTHONPATH=~/lib/python2.0:/usr/local/lib/python2.0
PYTHONHOME=~

Now, when I put spam.py in ~/lib/python2.0, it works. But what should I
do to make visible an extension module to the system (without cluttering
global configuration)?. There are some Setup.* files in
/usr/local/lib/python2.0/config/ (main python files) that list
dependencies beetwen .py and extension modules; do I have to make a copy
of it in my home dir and add my module there? I've tried to do so, but
nothing happened. Did i miss something?

Thanks,

yogin