do...until wisdom found...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Apr 17 18:11:08 EDT 2001

Bob Cannard wrote:
> No, Dennis, it's not a product of poor design. It's a product of
> examining many problems with clear eyes, without the distorting
> lens of a widely-accepted but insufficiently questioned dogma.

fwiw, I'm not so sure about "insufficiently questioned".  lots of
post-Pascal SP work fully support your view.  see e.g:

"Loop Exits and Structured Programming", by Eric Roberts:

http://www.seas.smu.edu/~kornerup/cse1341/robertsfiles/documents/loopexit.txt

    "At all levels of experience, students using [a version of pascal
    supporting internal loop exits] were more likely to write correct
    programs than were their counterparts in the control group"

in python 3000, expect "while" to be replaced with "loop/if/break" ;-)

Cheers /F