gdbm and the documentation

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath rvprasad at cis.ksu.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:45:19 EDT 2001

Hi,

I build Python2.1rc1 and ran into these quirks, I would say.

First, gdbm.open() now requires the second parameter.  A statement like

	gdbm.open("asd")

will report

	gdbm.error: Flag ' ' is not supported.

My guess is that this has to do with the default value for the Flag parameter in
the open method in gdbm.  I am guessing the default value in the distribution is
' ' instead of 'r'.

Second, the distribution creates a directory Python-2.1rc1 on expanding it.
This causes problemns when Latex2Html is used to generate the document.  It can
be fixed if it expanded into Python-2_1rc1 or something which doesnot have a
. in the absolute path to Doc directory.

One question.  Has anybody able to build the documentation in info format for
Python without any hurdles?  I tried it since 2.0 was released and it fails in
html2texi.pl file.  Since, I am a perl illiterate, can somebody fill me in on
how documentation can be generated in info format.

--
Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath

e-mail: rvprasad at cis.ksu.edu, rvprasad at ksu.edu

Address: Department of Computing and Information Science,
         234 Nichols Hall,
         Kansas State University,
         Manhattan, KS 66506

Phone: (785)-532-6350 Extn: 48