Tkinter and wxPython

s713221 at student.gu.edu.au s713221 at student.gu.edu.au
Fri Apr 20 08:29:48 EDT 2001

Timothy Grant wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have seen the GUI wars here, and have for the most part
> ignored them. I am now in a situation where I need input.
>
> We have a project that involves a simple GUI--at the moment--
> that will be getting significantly more complex as the summer
> goes on.
>
> Before we get to far in the project I'm trying to consider my
> options.
>
> Here's our analysis so far:
>
> Tkinter
> -------
> Defacto standard
> Faster to code
> Easier to layout complex screens
> Proven (we know it works)
>
> on the down side, it feels slow.
>
> wxPython
> --------
> Looks significantly better
> More robust widget set
> feels faster
> The author works two blocks away (Hi Robin!)
>
> on the down side, it is unproven and is not the defacto
> standard.
>
> So, I'm looking for people that have changed projects from one
> toolkit to the other and the reasons why they changed.

> Thanks.

I'd love to switch to wxPython from Tkinter, as it provides several
useful frameworks such as the Document/View and Device Contexts, and the
choice of several GUI layout tools, however it still doesn't have a
solid, items-expandable-in-python Canvas item like TK. If you require a
solid Canvas widget where you can draw a variety of items and bind
functions to events that occur over these items ----> TK.
Else, ---> wxPython.
Python wxOGL doesn't allow you to create you're own shape classes in
python, and I don't know enough C++ to help wrap the native C++
wxCanvas. *sighs*

Joal Heagney/AncientHart