Musing out loud... [Why not Smalltalk?]

Eric Clayberg clayberg at instantiations.com
Tue Apr 17 22:02:17 EDT 2001

"Piercarlo Grandi" <pg_nh at sabi.Clara.co.UK> wrote in message
news:yf366g3awne.fsf at sabi.ClaraNET.co.UK...

> Thus I find it a bit bizarre to imagine that "it took the Anamorphic
> team to pull them all together and prove that they worked in concert",
> because the Self group not only largely developed them, but they did
> that themselves (actually it was mostly just one guy for the
> Smalltalk-80 clone) and in the most straightforward way possible.

Then explain why Sun bought Anamorphic and their HotSpot technology for
*several* tens of millions of dollars. If Sun already had all this in house,
they had no reason to buy HotSpot. Were you around when the Anamorphic team
was shopping HotSpot around to the highest bidder? Did you see their
technology in action? I think you are severely underestimating the
significance of what the Anamorphic/HotSpot team developed. Apparently Sun
did not...

-Eric