Hygienic macros (was: do...until wisdom needed...)

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Wed Apr 18 15:59:42 EDT 2001

claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:

>>> FWIW, Tcl is actually based on Lisp - i'm told quite closely once
>>> you get past the syntactical sugar.

>> [|>oug:] I don't know what you mean by "based on".  They are very
>> dissimilar.

> Inner-circle Tcl-ers widely believe Tcl and Lisp
> "feel the same":

> 'Course, there's also a long tradition of devoted
> Lispers deprecating Tcl, sometimes quite passionately.
> I'll spare you references to those instances.

I don't need a reference because I'm one of those (ex-) Lispers.  I
love Lisp and I hate Tcl with a passion.  Python is much, much closer
to Lisp than Tcl is.  If you were to change the syntax of Python to be
Lisp-like, you might even count it as a dialect of Lisp.  There's no
amount of syntactic sugar that could do that to Tcl.