After Parrot, what next?

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Tue Apr 17 15:27:03 EDT 2001

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:31:33 -0700 in
<mailman.987481709.29843.python-list at python.org>,
Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> spake:
>Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:
>>   XML-based scripting languages have yet another vulnerable point,
>> though - you have to read the entire document to parse it unless you use
>> a SAX-like parser, but the document could be arbitrarily large.
>So you're saying that "XML-based scripting languages require you to read
>in the whole document unless you use an intelligent implementation in
>which case they don't."

  Not even remotely.  SAX-like parsers make for really fast benchmarks,
but they're totally useless for most real-world applications; even
pull-based variants instead of the standard push-based ones suck.  What
you *NEED* 255 times out of 256 is a DOM-like document tree.  And yet
that forces your parser to have an optional cutoff point, which none of
the standard implementations have.  My own fast, minimalist, DOM-like
parser does that, but only after a bitter lesson from cruel reality.

  Who lied to you and told you SAX was a good idea?

"I will tell you things that will make you laugh and uncomfortable and really
fucking angry and that no one else is telling you.  What I won't do is bullshit
you.  I'm here for the same thing you are.  The Truth." -Transmetropolitan #39