mxODBC chokes on dates! Any Help?

Owen Ap'Owen nospam at thank.you
Sun Apr 1 06:32:19 EDT 2001

In article <tcastvrc90ihfd at corp.supernews.com>, spam at spam.com says...

> Questions:
> (i) Did you try to contact him directly ?  He has always been very prompt in
> replying
> to me when I have, and I do *not* pay him a licence fee

No, I posted to this newsgroup first. In my experience it is the quickest
way to get answers.

> (ii) Have you actually paid any money for mxODBC.  If not, why do you expect
> that it
> should be perfect and that he should fix it for you quick smart if it aint ?

Where did I say that I expected it to be perfect? Where did I say that I
expected anybody to fix it? My actual expectation was that I was missing
something obvious.

I said that I thought it should be functional and complete if the
developer expects to be paid a hefty licence fee per user.

> I imagine you probably think that mxODBC and mxDateTime, a fantastically
> useful package
> as well, should be free for you to use and abuse simply because you expect
> to be paid to
> do development work for a commercial company, but you think that others
> should provide
> for free the tools you need in such work.

Why leap to a bunch of conclusions about what you imagine I think? I
tried mxODBC and found that it would not work for me. I asked for help in
this newsgroup. Simple.

I also commented that I believed the commercial license fees to be
extreme for a fairly lightweight product.

If I recall correctly I believe the licensing for mxODBC was on the order
of $60 - $80 per user. If I distribute a python app that uses mxODBC to
all the users in my business the license fees would add up to more than I
paid for my entire SQL Server 2000 installation including client access
licenses.

> If its a problem, why not write your own DB interface and datetime support,
> I'm sure you could
> manage it in a jiffy ;-)

My, aren't we argumentative! Do you really believe that I should never
criticise a product unless I am able and willing to go out and create a
better product on my own?

If I make some critical comments about Red Hat Linux are you going to
tell me to shut up and go create my own Linux distribution? If I state
that I believe Oracle 8i to be overpriced are you going to sneer and tell
me that, if I have a problem, I should just go write my own relational
database?