building python2-2.1-4.src.rpm on mdk7.2 fails

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at home.com
Wed Apr 25 15:48:34 EDT 2001

Pawel Stolowski wrote:

> Ron Johnson, Jr. wrote:
>> After a good 15 minutes of crunching, it fails.  Here are the last
>> 12 or so lines (depending on your line wrap) of the output from
>> rpm --rebuild python2-2.1-4.src.rpm
>>
>> {{{ start of output }}}
>> File not found by glob:
>> /var/tmp/python2-2.1-root/usr/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so*
>> Requires: python2 = 2.1-4
>> Processing files: python2-tools-2.1-4
>> Finding  Provides: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides)...
>> Finding  Requires: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires)...
>> line 246: Dependency tokens must begin with alpha-numeric, '_' or '/':
>> %defattr(-, root, root)
>>
>> Failed to find Requires:
>> Requires: python2 = 2.1-4 /bin/bash
>> {{{ end of output }}}
>>
>> This makes no sense to me, because /bin/bash exists on my system.
>> Can anyone help me?
> I can't help you, but I must say that I encountered similiar problem
> trying to create rpm with Python-2.0. I tried both .src.rpm (from
> www.python.org) and .tar.gz. The only thing I achieved was a
> Python-2.0.rpm with zero-sized python executables. And there was an
> error saying 'Failed to find Requires', too. After a few days struggle
> I gave up and installed it with usual make && make install.
> It seems to me that Mandrake rpm-build-scripts are a bit non-standard,
> comparing to RedHat -- especially, when it comes to compress man-pages
> (Mandrake uses bzip2, which causes problem with package' file-list
> indicating gzip-ped ones).

Thanks.  I, too, finally succeeded with Python-2.1.tgz.  Also, I did
"make altinstall", so that v2.1 wouldn't stomp on my v1.5.2 python
files & directories.

I can't blame Mandrake, 'cause the .src.rpm I got was from python.org.

 Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson at home.com
 Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org
 "Is Python better or worse than Perl?"
  "Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it
   worse." -Larry Wall, 10/14/1998