Python Books for 2002

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Apr 4 10:31:58 EDT 2001

"Tim Randolph" <timothyrandolph at yahoo.com> writes:
> Now that there are so many Python books out or in the pipeline it is more
> pleasant than discouraging to do some gap analysis.  Here are some books
> that I am looking forward to looking forward to:

>From my list:
* "Scientific Programming in Python", which would cover Numeric in detail,
  and also cover SWIG, hand-written interfaces to Fortran/C libraries,
  and reading various scientific data formats.

* "Text Processing in Python", covering regular expressions, parsing,
  and XML processing.  (Maybe in my copious free time, someday...)

* "Web Programming with Python".  (Ditto...)

* Books on the Qt and GTk+ Python interfaces would also be good;
  without such books, it seems unlikely that anything will displace
  Tkinter as the standard Python GUI.  (With such books, Tkinter is
  still in the lead because of its portability, but they'd even things
  out a bit.)

I hope to not see many more introductory Python books, because there
are enough of those; application- or domain-specific Python books are
more interesting.

Also, see Greg Wilson's list:
http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com/extern/python-book-ideas.html

--amk