Python & TKInter applets

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 17:39:48 EDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:20:42 -0700, Robert Johnson <rjohnson at exotic-eo.com> wrote:
>I am a Python newbie and I am wondering if Python and TKInter will allow me
>to write web applications similar to what I can do with ActiveX.

Not really. if you want to write web applications, you need to use
either java or something like Jython that outputs JVM code.

>Apparently, ActiveX is not  Netscape-compatible,

Correct.

It is more accurate to say ActiveX is not WWW-compatible; if you use
ActiveX, you are locking your users in to a Microsoft-only solution,
not a web-based solution.

> or so I'm told (what a
>surprise!).  I am writing an application that will plot an optical thin film
>design.  It will contain some boxes with entry parameters and will plot a
>graph of the reflectance, transmission, tau, or rho for a particular thin
>film design over a range of wavelengths (I work for a laser optical
>manufacturer that specializes in thin film coatings).

I personally find web-based applications easier to write and
deploy if the code is all on the server side. Then your users can
use any web browser.

--
*****[ Phil Hunt ***** philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ]*****
"Mommy, make the nasty penguin go away." -- Jim Allchin, MS head