database for index-files ?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 08:42:46 EDT 2001

"Florian W." <fwittenburg at myokay.net> wrote in message
news:9a89n1$12v5$1 at news.okay.net...
> Hello python-people !
>
> I want to write all little index-application for some c++ projects,
> that store which class is defined in which header file.
>
> There is the problem of persistence. Is there a library of this
> kind of database ? In C++/Tcl you can use MetaKit (www.equi4.com)
> and perl-hackes seem to use db-file.
>
> But should I use as python programmer ?

As usual, you get choices -- MetaKit for Python, for example
(http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html), and, of course,
all kinds of db files as well (most powerful of them the
Berkeley DB, whose Python-interfacing module is documented at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-bsddb.html).

I suspect the standard Python 'shelve' module, documented at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-shelve.html,
is what would make you happiest -- it's very simple and
makes you carry no 'extra baggage'.  (It lives on top of
some DB module or other, but that's just a detail).

Alex