Komodo in violation of Mozilla Public License?

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Tue Apr 10 23:30:59 EDT 2001

"Ron Stephens" <rdsteph at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3AD2619D.7928E33 at earthlink.net...
> Please keep up the good work. I am open source and free software advocate
who
> loves ActiveState's products and wish them to make a lot of money. Please
do
> not criticize ActiveState. They are doing so much good for Python !!!! To
> criticize them is most ungrateful and not wise at all, IMHO

To not criticize them, if one feels that they are doing something wrong, is
even less wise.  In this case, if they can sell something, make some money,
and give back to the community that supports them, that's great.  But, if in
the process they are stepping upon a license (which it appears that they are
not) they should be taken to task.  One should never cease being vigilant
out of thanks, and it is good to look at these contracts that we live by and
upon once in a while.

As a side note, I'd like to raise the issue as to how much ActiveState feels
this is the correct business model for them. Can we expect PythonWin or some
other currently free (as in beer here) software to include a price in the
future?  Especially if ActiveState comes to be in charge of the Win32
distribution of Python, what is their incentive to keep giving?

doug