How do I update my API?

Neil Schemenauer nas at python.ca
Sun Apr 29 13:29:45 EDT 2001

Mark blobby Robinson wrote:
> I am trying to write a C extension for a python program. Having just
> upgraded to python 2.1 I find that when I try to import the module I get
> the following error:
>
> WARNING: Python C API version mismatch for module motifExt:
>   This Python has API version 1010, module motifExt has version 1007.

This means your module was compiled for an older version of
Python.

> I figured I was using an out of date Makefile.pre.in so I found a copy
> of it in the python2.1 source and tried generate a make file using :
>
> make -f Makefile.pre.in boot
>
> but this now generates the following errors:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rm3ay/motif/modules'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/lib/python2.1/config/Makefile', needed by `sedscript'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rm3ay/motif/modules'
> make: *** [boot] Error 2

This error means that /usr/lib/python2.1/config/Makefile is
missing and it is needed.  Did you install Python 2.1 in
/usr/lib?  If so, that file should have been installed.  If not,
something is wrong with your 2.1 installation.  Perhaps you
installed a packaged version that did not include the development
files.

  Neil