wxPython built for 2.1? - INSTALL problems

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Apr 23 10:49:45 EDT 2001

"Zenon C." <zenchm at usa.net> writes:

> Thanks Dave,
> > WxPython is expecting/has a dependency on python20.dll - it's not built
> > to use Python21.dll yet.
> > Dave LeBlanc
>
> So, whre is the python20.dll ?
> It is not anywhere in the installed folders or winnt/system32
> It is also not listed in the insallation log?
> Do I need to download it from somewhere?

Well yes.  You'd need to download and install Python 2.0 (not 2.1) if
you want to use an extension module like wxPython that is built for
Python 2.0.  That will include the python20.dll file in addition to
the rest of the installation.

Unfortunately, due to how Windows DLLs work extension modules have to
be built specifically for a release of Python.  This does mean that
extensions have to be rebuilt for new Python releases.

So you can either go back slightly and use Python 2.0 instead of 2.1
for now (to work with wxPython) or hang on a bit until a Python 2.1
compatible version of wxPython is built/released (which probably won't
take too long).

An alternative would be to download the wxPython sources and build
them locally on your machine to match your local copy of Python, if
you have a suitable development environment.

--
-- David