Komodo in violation of Mozilla Public License?

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Wed Apr 11 09:49:49 EDT 2001

dsavitsk wrote:

> As a side note, I'd like to raise the issue as to how much ActiveState feels
> this is the correct business model for them.

I can't speak for ActiveState, but do feel confident enough to state
that they believe charging for some things is a reasonable business model.

> Can we expect PythonWin or some
> other currently free (as in beer here) software to include a price in the
> future?

> Especially if ActiveState comes to be in charge of the Win32
> distribution of Python, what is their incentive to keep giving?

ActiveState will never be "in charge" of the Win32 distribution for
Python.  They will never be "in charge" of the source code to the Win32
extensions.

Anyone is free to take these extensions and release them any way they
like.  Anyone is free to take the Wise installers used by Tim/Guido et
al for core Python, and my Wise installer for win32all and create their
own distribution.

Heck, anyone is free to make contributions back to all this wonderful
open source code they are using.  Unfortunately that happens pretty
rarely (but thanks to those people who do).

Mark.