Python's GUI memory usage

Rick Pasotto rickp at telocity.com
Wed Apr 18 12:03:31 EDT 2001

In discussing the pros/cons of python vs c/c++ usage for a project, the
following answer was given to my question:

<cite>
> What do you mean 'bind better to a GUI'?

Most of the GUI toolkits are out there are based off of C or C++. The
ability for something like Perl or Python to use one of them is via the
use of wrappers.

This is useful, but inefficient. In Python's case, we will use up
approximately 10 megs of ram just to launch applications. That doesn't
include what the application is, or how big it is.
</cite>

Where did this '10 megs' number likely come from and is it accurate? How
relevent is the argument?

A Tkinter program I wrote that has menus, buttons, 20+ entry fields,
balloons, status bar and connects to a MySQL db shows an RSS of 4590
with a share of 2380. That's a long way from 10 megs -- or am I looking
at the wrong thing.

--
"Aided by a little sophistry on the words 'general welfare', [they
claim] a right to do not only the acts to effect that which are
		   Rick Pasotto email: rickp at telocity.com