other python ideas

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 08:46:22 EDT 2001

Douglas Alan wrote:
> scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl (Remco Gerlich) writes:
> > Recently people want to get rid of import, change the clear semantics of the
> > assignment statement, add stricter interfaces, make more private members of
> > classes, do bytecode optimization...
>
> > [...]
>
> > Seems to me people think Python is really cool, if only it weren't
> > Python, but language <insert something like Java here>...
>
> Well, personally, I'm taking a class on the Design and Implementation
> of Object Oriented Dynamic Languages, so it's my job to think about
> how such languages can be improved and what the ideal language might
> be like.  No programming language is perfect.  I don't think that it
> is to anyone's benefit to pretend that they are.

And equally, no programming language has ever been (or will ever be)
perfected, so it's not to anyone's benefit to pretend that such perfection
is possible! <wink>

In my experience, extra language features tend to mean extra magic, and I'm
usually too dumb to understand all that voodoo stuff. That's why I ended up
using Python more than any other language...

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
Get testing at http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/