Smallest Standalone Distributable Possible?

Thomas Heller thomas.heller at ion-tof.com
Tue Apr 3 03:55:16 EDT 2001

"Kragen Sitaker" <kragen at dnaco.net> wrote in message news:lUey6.23196$BC6.6135045 at e3500-chi1.usenetserver.com...

> Thanks!  Neither is quite what I want (even py2exe, despite being
> incredibly cool, can't link pythonXX.dll into the resulting executable
> statically) but both are major steps in the right direction.  If I can
> get Freeze to do static linking on Windows --- ideally only of the
> modules my program uses --- I will be happy.
Two points:
- Gordon's installer can create single file applications (which will
dynamically unpack at runtime, and clean up afterwards).

- I have experimental code which will (eventually) merge dlls and
pyds into the exe-file. Don't know if and when I can make this available,
it is in an very early stage, also I'm not sure about the benefits.

> I could have a much smaller executable (or Python script) for people
> who already have Python installed.
Look for Fredrik Lundh's 'squeeze' (on the pythonware site) in this case.

Thomas