The Python way (was: If you want X, you know where to find it (was Re: do...until wisdom ) needed...)

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 14:06:14 EDT 2001

claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:

> In article <mailman.987782495.20933.python-list at python.org>,
> Paul Prescod  <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> >filters might make sense. I claim that Python's success stems from
> >Guido's ability to find sweet spots in the middle: not too hard, not too
> >"dumbed down", not too performance-driven, not too slow. I'm not trying
> >to mediate the technical differences here but make the point that you
> >would never find the sweet spot by going at each other's throats.
> >
> >This makes it very difficult to figure out the answer to Python
> >technical issues through an appeal to first principles. So let's see a
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> I'll unsolicitedly (?) second that claim.
>
> 'Just think Paul's wise words bear repeating.  Carry on.

My favourite formulation of this sentiment comes from David Beazley (I
think, but I'm damned if I can find it again):

   Python is a programming language that gets it's comprmises exactly
   right.

I don't think I've said that here for, at least, months, so I think it
can bear being said again.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Roll on a game of competetive offence-taking.
                                            -- Dan Sheppard, ucam.chat