Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Eugene Leitl ui22204 at mail.lrz-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 6 04:47:45 EDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> I've used Python in really serious real time systems -- they get
> huge amounts of new data every 15 minutes or so, and must get
> rid of them before the next batch arrives...

Seriously, what is roughly the overhead of the Python glue
if I have a scripted sequence of 1) grabbing a frame from /dev/video
2) doing some processing on it 3) displaying it.

Assuming 1, 2, 3 is written in C (I guess displaying a canvass will
involve some Python), is the overhead relevant? It doesn't seem to be a
problem with PyMOL, so it won't probably bite in this case, but it's
worth asking.