using lambda to print everything in a list

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Sat Apr 28 07:33:22 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My personal impression is that lambda is a (minor)
> nuisance.  Naming the code fragment that you want
> to pass to some other function, by making it a
> nested function, seems clearer & handier to me.

What about using `map' to apply a method to each element in a list?

Like in:

    map (lambda s : s.capitalize (), l)

I wouldn't call a loop clearer in this case, despite the lambda.

For strings, one could of course pass `string.capitalize' to `map'.
Unfortunately, this loop hole exists only for strings, and the powers
that be plan on making the string module obsolete, anyway.

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36