GetTickCount vs. clock for msec resolution

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Thu Apr 19 23:42:42 EDT 2001

i am talking to some hardware, needing to resolve 10's-100's of msec
of time. So I started playing around with the clock and GetTickCount
functions under win32 to check for finer time resolution.

See code below. timimg results for win2k at:

  http://folks.astrian.net/godzilla/ticks.html

GetTickCount has some funniness in its behavior.

i'm good and stickin with clock for now. But I am curious to hear
other people's observations about msec time resolution or possibly
even smaller, particularly on winXX and linux.

les 'time-has-come-tudayyy' schaffer

=========================

from time import clock, sleep
from win32api import GetTickCount

def _yawn( sec ):
    now = clock()
    while (clock() - now) < sec: pass

div = '\n========\n'
def testTick( sleepyTimeTime ):
    print div, 'SleepyTimeTime = ', sleepyTimeTime*1000, div,
    for i in (0,1,2):
        x = clock()
        _yawn(sleepyTimeTime)
        y = clock()