newbie question

Rob Andrews rob at jam.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 18:40:04 EDT 2001

atonal wrote:

> i have beginning-to-intermediate level vb6/vba programming skills and
> would like to find employment before long in a technical capacity.
>
> something tells me that vb is not my ticket, and i am intrigued by
> python.
>
> for now i am somewhat wedded to ms windows and ms office, but i gather
> that python can be used in many ways in place of vba, and that in
> general it would offer more career opportunities.
>
> anyone agree or disagree?  advice is welcome, and thanks in advance.
<opinion>
Python is great. If you enjoy programming at all, you just might find
that coding Python brings its own distinct pleasure.

It's an elegant language, offering simple, relatively obvious solutions
to many every-day problems. I believe that anyone who spends extensive
time with computers might find numerous situations in which Python comes
in handy.

I have been offered money to use my puny skills with Python more than
once lately, and these offers were from other programmers who want me to
develop demo applications, GUI interfaces for their own back-end
software, etc. It's a good general-purpose language, and it mixes well
with other languages.

It's a little like Java, only without all that Java.
</opinion>
Rob
--
Got newbies?