lack of shell in Win2000

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Aug 27 06:21:13 EDT 2001

"Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams" <ignacio at openservices.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, john anon wrote:
>
> > at the risk of repeating an old question
> > (I looked -- really -- I looked)
> >
> > if there is no shell in Win2000, how will we start scripts?
> > from Explorer?  but ... what about command-line args?
>
> Most likely via cmd.exe, NT/2000's command line interpreter.

...which is now hidden under start/programs/accessories (bah,
"accessory" my foot!).  Anyway, perhaps more common ways to
pass command-line args to Python programs on Win2000 &c are:

Start/Run...: you can pass a full commandline there,
    including arguments

Shortcuts: when you make a shortcut (.LNK file) to your
    program you get to define all of the commandline
    arguments (rightclick/Properties/Shortcut, edit the
    Target textfield).

Alex