Python Books

Steve SPMSXsunkcosts at pobox.com
Thu Aug 23 16:20:49 EDT 2001

In article <3B850C4E.CE483F1A at jam.rr.com>, Rob Andrews <rob at jam.rr.com>
wrote:

> *Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours* (published by SAMS) is actually a
> nice beginner text. I was skeptical because of the title, but it has
> turned out to be a local favorite.

I am about midway through this, and I have to give a newbie thumbs down
to this one. The author seems earnest enough in wanting to spread the
Python love. He also gives you solid advice in approaching Python
programming from a 50K foot level.

But the methodology and examples are a real drag for a newbie like me.
Too much time is wasted on general conceptual history and theory when
discussing Python components, and not enough time spent on giving a lot
of examples of Python code in understandable settings.

As soon as a newbie builds that first, tiny app that makes their life a
tad bit easier, they'll be hungry to learn more, and they'll process
new info that much faster. You can't get this rush by talking about
theory, and the author's personal, eclectic interests can be a real
drag if you're not interested in the same thing (Mayan calendars,
number theory, programming history, etc.)

It's not just me; check out the Amazon reviews on this book. You'll see
a similar theme.

Steve