Deposing Dictactors

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Thu Aug 16 20:33:17 EDT 2001

[sburrious]
> I think what he's saying is that your use of the plural (see above)
> implies a BOFL (benevolent oligarchy for life), rather than a BDFL.  A
> BOFL for life would be deplorable.  There would be endless morbid
> discussions about which combination of bus accidents should bring the
> oligarchy to an end.
>
> I shudder to think of it.
>
> but-just-in-case-voting-for-guido+tim'ly yours, sburrious

I don't know about this.  Would the switch to an oligarchy be accompanied by
a switch to paying the oligarchy?  And paying them well?  If so, then screw
Guido, I'll volunteer to be OOFL (Oligarchy of One For Life)!

It's all the same to *you* in the end anyway, because I'll die much sooner
than Guido, so you'll be back to the old unpaid BDFL before most people even
notice that the oppressor has changed.  The difference to me is that I'll be
able to afford a headstone for my grave, maybe even with a nice engraving
illustrating proper indentation, for the continued instruction of the
living.

all's-for-the-best-in-this-best-of-all-possible-worlds-ly y'rs  - tim