PyQt install problem

Boudewijn Rempt boud at
Wed Aug 8 23:38:07 CEST 2001

Bruce Wolk <bawolk at> wrote:
> Good suggestion.  When I run ldd on as root and as user I get
> different results for

> root
> => /usr/lib/qt-2.3.0/lib/ (0x40505000)
> user
> => /usr/local/qt/lib/ (0x404f6000)

> I don't understand why this is so.  It seems that the qt libraries are in
> fact in both locations--both version 2.3.  I am not sure how that happened.
> So what should I do now?

> I also get many additional libraries as root that I don't get as user:

> => /usr/X11R6/lib/ (0x40ec9000)
> => /usr/lib/ (0x40eee000)
> => /usr/lib/ (0x40f0f000)
> => /usr/lib/ (0x40f1e000)
> => /usr/lib/ (0x40f3d000)
> => /usr/X11R6/lib/ (0x41018000)
> => /usr/lib/ (0x4101e000)

This is logical and consistent with your earlier report. The Qt root
uses (which is presumably part of your OS installation) is compiled to
support Xft - the new, anti-aliased font protocol for X. Your X doesn't
support that (or it does, but your graphics card doesn't), and that
causes the error message you get when you run PyQt apps as root.

However, I'd search your user account configuration (particularly
.bashrc) for references to /usr/local/qt... - I think you might have
compiled and installed a qt as a user, and set the qt directory to that

It might be best to just remove the qt in /usr/local and let everything
point to the one in /usr.

Boudewijn Rempt  |