Window NT: need to allow client to make system call via CGI script

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Aug 30 20:12:18 EDT 2001

bokr at accessone.com (Bengt Richter) writes:

> But isn't this substituting for pcAnywhere rather than allowing the CGI
> to execute the script, unless either the server is 'impersonating' the
> user who has access, or IUSR_<server name> (the server services' own
> user login account for anonymous access -- which you should not give
> additional privileges to unless you have a *very* protected environment
> with no external access) has rights to the share (which would mean it was
> effectively a pretty public share).

No - this would be a way to run the script on the _client_ machine, in
a way that the same script would run on any client machine without
worrying about local drive mappings.  One would presume that other
necessary files on the server could be published on shares with
appropriate access to network authenticated users (for which the
clients on the network would likely have already authenticated to upon
login to their local machine).

> Or did I miss some discussion?

If I read the original request right, part of the whole reason to even
want the script to execute on the server (and thus the current
pcAnywhere workaround) was to avoid having to deal with drive mappings
- running locally on the server was a controllable environment.  If
you just use UNCs then, barring network access problems the same
script can run locally on the requester's machine.

But this is just an alternative potential solution to the underlying
problem, assuming that executing on the server is itself already a
secondary problem attempting to address the original issue

--
-- David