newbie question

George Garnett g.r.garnett at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 23 00:42:44 EDT 2001

Well, I 'did' ask for it (the criticisms), didn't I?

Anyway, the issue is what is the future of jpython, and what is its future
relative to JSP (and also relative to javascript, which is also developing
into its own full language)? Also, what role should each language play in a
design, if they are used together. I suggest looking on-line for computer
magazine articles rather than relying on user's opinions (including myself).
Try to find sources that aren't focused solely on java (such as 'java
world') or python (such as 'python world'?). No doubt jpython will fill a
specific market niche just like java. However, I've seen many companies go
belly up and I wonder about jpython. How can they compete with an upcoming
powerhouse like JSP in the long term? Java will be very time consuming to
come up to speed (what with all the java computers in the book store and
their sub-specialties such as JDBC, Java threads, etc, etc). If you need an
immediate job, jpython and the related technologies (html/javascript/etc)
may very well be the way to go for now. However, I still think the future is
java (mind you, I'm not biased in any way!).

By the way, how many jphyton programmers are there in the U.S., and is the
market for it growing or shrinking? I looked at www.atlanta.computerjobs.com
and couldn't find any. Not that their aren't any, I just took a very quick
look. I'm asking a question and not criticizing. Is there a job posting site
for jpython or a market analysis for its future?

By the way, for all you python people out there, I did read 'thinking in
java' by Eckel and about 1/4 of a book on jpython (ok, so I borrowed the
book). I've read about 25 books on java an its related languages so far. I
guess I was just turned off by its C language like low level programming
syntax. I prefer java's low level syntax instead (again, not that I'm biased
in any way!).

news:48256545.0108221258.5882c94f at posting.google.com...