Window NT: need to allow client to make system call via CGI script

Bengt Richter bokr at accessone.com
Thu Aug 30 16:52:49 EDT 2001

On 29 Aug 2001 20:28:45 -0400, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:

>TerryByrne1963 at yahoo.com (Terry Byrne) writes:
>
>> I wanted to avoid the complications of varying drive mappings etc.
>> when building the command lines for the batch file, so the CGI assumes
>> the server's local drive structure for paths to exes and input files.
>> Because of this assumption, I know, the batch file must run locally. I
>> know a truly elegant solution would get the user's drive mapping (if
>> exists) to create the proper commands, or maybe it would change drive
>> mappings on-the-fly to a standard or something, assuming rights could
>> be obtained to do so from the net admin group etc., but that seems too
>> elaborate :-)... or maybe that would be easier than I suspect. If so,
>> please advise.
>
>BTW, as another approach you don't have to have drive mappings if you
>want to permit the user to run the script locally but referenced from
>the server's drive.  Just use UNC names for everything, and as long as
>the user has the appropriate access to the server it should work fine.
>
>That is, if your server is called, say SERVER, and the script is
>written by the web page onto a share SCRIPTS on the server, then a
>client could execute that script by just running
>\\server\scripts\<scriptname>.  And inside your script you could just
>use \\server\<share>\... references rather than drive letters.

But isn't this substituting for pcAnywhere rather than allowing the CGI
to execute the script, unless either the server is 'impersonating' the
user who has access, or IUSR_<server name> (the server services' own
user login account for anonymous access -- which you should not give
additional privileges to unless you have a *very* protected environment
with no external access) has rights to the share (which would mean it was
effectively a pretty public share).

Or did I miss some discussion?