Zombies from forked thread process. Why?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Thu Aug 16 01:30:25 CEST 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Dave Cinege wrote:

> I have a daemon process that watches a directory for files. When
> some appear it decides what to do with them and then spawns a
> processor to handle them. To be speedy it detaches (forks) a processor
> for each 'section'. Eveything run perfect, except that when the processor
> process returns it leaves a zombie in the process tree:
> IE
> root  29065  0.0  0.0  0  0 ?   Z  11:40 0:00 [mss_snort-updat <defunct>]
> This is only when invoked by my daemon and not directly by hand.

Your code doesn't have any waitpid() to retrieve the state of the child
when it terminates (at least what was shown didn't have any)

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia