Searchable python documentation

Tom Huckstep tomhuckstep at bigfoot.spammenot.com
Thu Aug 9 09:04:21 EDT 2001

Is there any searchable python documentation, that performs
a bit like man, so I could do

$ pyman compile

and it would show me the documentation for the builtin
function compile?

If not I am thinking of writing a couple of programs to
perform that task:  one to make an index of the HTML
module documentation, and another to search through it and
invoke a web browser when it finds what you want.

I don't want to duplicate anyone's work though.  Does this
kind of thing exist already?  If it doesn't, does anyone
have any thoughts or comments on my idea?

Tom