FEEDBACK WANTED: Type/class unification

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Wed Aug 1 12:47:15 EDT 2001

> When I released Python 2.2a1, the type/class unification feature was
> announced as TENTATIVE.  It's been a while now (feels like a year,
> although I realize it's only been 10 days :), and I would like to see
> some feedback on this.
>
> If there's anyone who believes the type/class unification should not
> become a feature in Python 2.2, please speak up now or forever hold
> your peace...  (But I'd rather you speak up!)

Nice work!

I hope it'll go into 2.2.

> I realize the PEPs aren't done yet, but I believe that the separate
> introduction I wrote goes a long way towards explaining type/class
> unification.  Read it here:
>
>   http://www.python.org/2.2/descrintro.html
>
> Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You mention that the mro-list will be constructed at class definition
time. Does that mean that changes to `__bases__` are going to be
outlawed? Playing tricks with __bases__ was sometimes handy.

Do you have a name for the new lookup rule?

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36