How to use python to automate installation of non-python programs?

Dennis Voss dennis at dennis-voss.de
Sun Aug 5 11:52:49 EDT 2001

Bela Evans wrote:

>Let's say you have to install some program on a number of machines
>(pcs and macs) - msoffice, adobe acrobat reader, norton antivirus,
>etc.  It's easy enough to have a python script start an install
>program, but does python have any interface to allow you to
>automatically run through an install program?
>
>What I'm thinking would be needed is a kind of keyboard and mouse
>entry macro recorder.  For example, on 1st screen of install program,
>press enter, 2nd screen, click on customize button, etc.  The python
>script would need to focus attention on the install program window and
>send keystrokes and mouse clicks to it.  Anyone have experience with
>this?  Any pointers to which modules I should look at?  Or is there a
>better way to run through install programs?
>
>Thanks for any suggestions or ideas on what I should be looking at...

Some (if not all) setup programs do support an automatic install (defaults)
with a special command line switch.
This goes for Windows machines. You should also be able to use some
Microsoft thingie. Your task is pretty common among NT Admins.

This situration is different on Macs however. But if I remember that
correctly, you can simply copy the folder !

Dennis