Experiences converting Python to C++

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 03:04:13 EDT 2001

"Alex" <new_name at mit.edu> wrote in message
news:etd1ymaj98s.fsf at lola-granola.mit.edu...

> I can't think of a good reason to make such a port.  Why not just
> provide interfaces that C++ programs can use, or write the slow parts of
> the python program in C/C++?

The reason is typically that a customer specifies they want C++
and nothing but C++ and are willing to pay good money for it.

You may argue until you're blue in the face (and probably lose
the contract) or you may make good money writing C++ -- it's
your choice.  If the customer specified that the letter 'r' never
be used anywhere in your source, after trying and failing to
convince them that this is irrational (oyster eating has to do
with there being an 'r' in the *month name*, NOT in the
*source code*), and checking that they're willing to pay what
it takes, wouldn't you give it a try?

Alex