bug report: [ #447945 ] time.time() is not non-decreasing

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Aug 4 22:29:11 CEST 2001

    zooko> Hm.  strace tells me that this is what is happening:

    zooko> gettimeofday({996940586, 982859}, NULL) = 0
    zooko> gettimeofday({996940586, 976989}, NULL) = 0

Okay, I think I understand now.  The tv_usec field in a timeval struct
represents microseconds.  Apparently something about your system (the kernel
or hardware clock, most likely) does not have microsecond resolution, so
most of the bits in the tv_usec field are garbage.  This may be something
that could be addressed in Python's configuration (a little C program that
measures the resolution of gettimeofday), but I'm no expert on timekeeping,
so I don't know what's necessary.  If you could amend your bug report with
the strace output it would be helpful to whoever gets assigned your bug