Compiling Python2.2a1 & losing command-line features

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Aug 7 05:18:40 EDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:43:25PM -0400, Paul Johnston wrote:

> I have used binary and source-compiled versions of Python.  In every case
> where I use the latter my Python environment loses all its normal niceties
> like backspace, line-repeat, etc.  Is there a setting or configuration item
> I need to set to get these back?

You're missing readline. It's auto-detected, and has been since Python 2.1,
but apparently it's not autodetecting readline in your case. Perhaps you
didn't install the readline header files ? (Common problem on Linux systems
with a 'packaged' libreadline, where you need to install 'readline-dev' or
'readline-devel' to get the headers.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>